Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Today...

is the greatest day I've ever known. Can't live for tomorrow, I might not have that long..."

Let me tell you about today.

Today we had a craptacular National Day spectacle. Sheesh.

Today I did my impression of khaleegi dancing on the football pitch, per a colleague's request.

Today our kids were adorable, and made me wish I had a fancy women's thobe and that I'd worn it to do my impression of khaleegi dancing. Oh, and one of those gold headdress thingies.

Today I left school feeling like it was the last day of the year. It was THAT exciting to be going on vacation.

Today I had an ATM eat my debit card. Stupid RAK bank.

Today I found out that the ONE business here that actually keeps fairly western hours is the bank. And I was twenty minutes later than I needed to be to see about withdrawing some of my brand-new paycheck and getting a new ATM card. Stupid RAK bank.

Today I saw a family put a kid (baby goat) in that space between the back seat and the hatch of their van, and drive off.

Today I took a three-hour nap, so I probably don't need all THAT much sleep right now, anyways.

Today I heated up my leftover dolmades in the oven (don't have a microwave), and managed to drop the plate and shatter it AND lose the biggest part of my dinner :-( I was more upset about the food.

Today I had a nice evening with friends - pre-"drink" at Trish's with her, Tony, Rachel, and Lynsey, and then to the sailing club - a little live music, a little dancing.

Today I played it cool and feel like that went well for me.

Today I realized I had NO COKE!! and the shops are closed, which constitutes a catastrophe, as I'm leaving with Socrates at 6:30 this morning to take him to the airport, and I really need coke to be functional that early. And so...

Today I will be staying up late enough to go BACK to the sailing club to pick Trish up in her car (which she kindly loaned me to get Socrates and I back to Sunrise), if only so I can bum a coke off her. Chances are I would have, anyways, but now it's imperative.

Eid Mubarak, people.

1 comment: