Sunday, May 16, 2010

Hiatus

I had, what, 64 days left the last time I wrote? Now I'm down to 40. I've been remiss with the blog here, but what can I tell you? I guess since I had to change it to private and the jokes about only having three readers became true, I just don't have the motivation. After all, Babysis, Glamwhore, and the Evil One all chat or email or whatever with me regularly, so they know what's going on in my life. However, I'm going to soldier on, and once I leave this country I'll be able to make it public again, and maybe someone out there will want to read it.

I "gave up" fizzy drinks 47 days ago. Yes, those are quotes. I haven't been entirely successful at giving them up...in the space of two weeks I drank 6 cokes and 2 Mt. Dews, but otherwise I've been clean (of those 8 drinks, 2 were medicinal - you try driving back from Dubai at 2:30 a.m. without caffeine - 3 were celebratory, and 3 were just so Trish didn't have to drink alone). I felt like I was making pretty good progress until the week in which I drank 7 of those drinks (I lost my passport, Barni, my cat, died, and I got sick enough to stay home from school two days)...since then, I haven't had as much exercise as I would have liked. Basically I've been suffering from a hardcore inertia and not felt like doing anything productive. Probably because it was fun being curled up on my guestroom floor watching Dr. Who. I finished season two yesterday and since then have straightened things up some, none too soon, since I've got to start thinking about packing and report cards (only 500 some to go!)

RAKESS is rife with rumors since the Trunchbull took over as principal. Everyone is looking over their shoulder. I was feeling guilty about leaving, but then they cut art entirely and made Casey a classroom teacher, and now my only regret is that I made things too easy for them. If they'd tried to put me in a classroom, maybe I could have gotten out of here on a breach of contract and not had to pay for my visa and plane ticket...although the Trunchbull is not as nice as Roy was, so I don't really believe it.

Trish and I have been trying to make the most of the last of our time here - we saw the rock pools at Hatta and rocked last month's quiz with Dean, Michelle, Allan, and Moira, went down to Dubai with Rachel and Lana to get wild at Fibber McGee's and have done reconnaissance on SkiDubai, and have a few other things on our list. But I've gotta say, last Sunday I started reading Dead in the Family, and I was transported through time to last Spring, reading the series for the first time in New Orleans and in the snowstorm that I returned to that week, and the cozy feeling of being sunk into these books (the same feeling I had when I read all of the Stephanie Plum books), and the fact that Glamwhore shared them with me, and I shared them with Babysis...and at the video store when Trish stopped on the way home Friday, I saw Up, and I remembered all our midnight movies with the B&N crew...and I was just struck with a longing to be there now. I need the next 40 days, I know, but I'll be glad to be shot of here.

No comments:

Post a Comment