Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Phall- Play

You'd think, living in a fairly small country for three years and being fairly active that I would have seen all the places I meant to before my grand departure two years back. Not so. There are actually quite a few things I never got around to, and this trip presented an opportunity to rectify at least one of them. But first...a little story...

(Be warned - this tale is not for the faint of heart or prudish of mind.)

So, long ago, in the days when people wore folk dress because it was what they wore and not because it was a special occasion, a young woman drowned in the East Sea in a little fishing village south of modern-day Samcheok...

Soon after this tragedy, the fishermen of the village began to lose their livelihoods to inexplicable, dwindling catches...

One day some of the local fishermen had to relieve themselves, and in the process, aired their gochu's (peppers) to the world...

The next day they caught more fish! The problem was solved!! This unfortunate young lady had died a virgin, and it was her sexually frustrated spirit that was causing the bad catch!!! Thus Haesindang Gongwon, or Penis Park to us whities, was born. What virginal young spirit wouldn't be appeased by a memorial full of phallic imagery???

I mean, it would work for me! (No, that is NOT my customary "one-size-fits-all" sarcasm, as you can plainly see....)

Yes, those are boots I am wearing with 3.5" heels. I didn't actually INTEND to go hiking in them. I wasn't sure exactly what I was getting myself into when I got dressed this morning, but I knew it involved a long bus ride. Oops. As it turns out, hiking in heels is a rite of passage to Korean womanhood, so I can now TRULY say that I'm Korean. (You may think I'm joking, but I'm not - Korean girls wear heels EVERYWHERE...to the beach, to go hiking, and of course for more mundane things such as riding the subway or clubbing).

Why did it take me three years to make it there? Good question, but I'm glad it did, because Belynda got to come with me, and I wouldn't have such fabulous pictures without her!

I could sit here all night and upload penises of all shapes and sizes, but I'm sure I'm about to hit a quota for inappropriate content so I'd better cut this off (that COULD have gone on the list of things heard in Samcheok...but it wasn't..."Would you like some nuts?" and "Onward and upward," however, both were). It was a great day spent with a great friend in great weather, and if you ever get bored of Seoul on a weekend, I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment