Saturday, July 16, 2011

And we have....FUSION!

I'm an idiot. Photos would be a great thing for this post. Actually, I've decided photos would be a great thing for every post, and my failure to remember my camera is probably a very big reason I haven't done more with this in a while. Oh well. Life goes on.

So I've been back in Iowa for two weeks now. It is not the best place for me. I tend to sit around too much and eat poorly when I'm here. But you can't choose where you come from, so here I am...for another three days. I don't even want to think about what the last two weeks have done to my body; I will just have to fix it when I get back to Shanghai. In the meantime, I have been shopping til I drop, and visiting with family. Mom, Dad, and I took a roadtrip in which we cut across the great state of Missouri, seeing my grandma and her hubby, hit the family farm and spent some time with my great uncle, dropped in on my cousins and their anklebiters, and along the way witnessed the tornadic destruction in Joplin and the flooding along the Missouri (wow, Mother Nature. Suitably impressed. Now back off and send the rain down south where it's needed). I'm trying to finish up a few things here; I had taken my computer into a repair shop, only to be told, 8 days later, that it was probably the motherboard (apparently it was so screwed they couldn't actually get the diagnostics to finish running, so that was their best guess). I was planning to either buy or borrow Socrates' baby laptop, but no sooner had I emailed to ask him about it than my parents offered to combine my upcoming birthday present with Christmas (since I'm not planning on coming home this year) and get me a new one. So this post is coming to you from my brand new Toshiba laptop, which is not bogged down with a bunch of other crap that my family downloaded before I took it over. IT IS ALL MINE...and it's red. I've named it the Junior Tamale (my old Dodge Neon was the Hot Tamale - it was the first thing that came to mind).


Anyways, I'm boring myself with the recap, which means I'm probably boring all five of my readers, so I'll just cut to the chase, the reason for writing...my trip to RAINBOW ARTISTIC GLASS (http://rainbowartisticglass.com/rainbow/index.htm) with Babysis. She is a groupon junkie, and this was one of them. For a pretty reasonable price, they supplied us each with some inspiration, a little instruction, a base square of glass, and different glass bits to use to decorate it. When they are fired, the glass will get hot enough to fuse together. Babysis decided to make a bunny piece. I thought briefly about doing a dragon (it would have looked really cool if I'd used the glass pebbles to make his scales), but in the end decided I needed a bigger piece of glass and curved "stringers": thin pieces of glass which make great outlines. Unfortunately there isn't such a thing, or they didn't have them - whatever the case was, I decided (after a brief stab of guilt as I thought my mom might like me to make something for her) that I would make a phoenix instead. So that's what I did. I made the thing almost entirely out of fine frit in red, orange, yellow, and black (in that order). I did add a bit of a border at the bottom, and a few yellow dots for accents at the top.

Like I said, I forgot to bring my camera, but Babysis sent me this photo of our finished work, since I wasn't there when they were finished. I was really pleased with how they looked when we left, and can't wait to see them after they've been fired. If you have the chance to try this art, I highly recommend it - it's pretty easy and a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment