Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Around the World in Forty Days

So it's 5 in the morning and I've been awake for an hour and a half. Welcome back to jetlag. I thought by making my way back to Shanghai in a more roundabout manner I might manage to bypass it, but apparently no such luck.

As you might infer from the title, I have actually been around the world in the last forty days (which is half the time it took in the book, take that, you fin de siecle sci-fi pioneering nerd!) This has kind of brought to a close a year full of GDA reunions as I hung out with Joe, Bronte, and Vasilis in Santorini. I've actually seen 12 of my former colleagues in the last year (Ben, Kate, Crissy, Roisin, Nam-Hee, Veca, Mark, Emily, and my Dark Lord and Master), and I expect to see Doug and Curly Sue in the near future, as they will both be back in Korea by the end of the year. It just says something to me about the kind of place that GDA was, and the kind of people I worked with, that I actually put forth effort to see them now that the party's over.

Okay, well, actually, Bronte and Vasilis just have a sweet location. I mean, hello? Santorini. Who wouldn't want to visit there? And I'll write more about that next time, I swear I will, but for right now, let me attempt to catch more zees with this parting shot: I spent the night in Athens rather than taking an early flight back specifically to visit the poet sandalmaker of Athens ...and it may have been a fly-by morning, but damned if I didn't get my sandals!

No comments:

Post a Comment