Friday, August 19, 2011

Oia: Day, Dusk, and Night

Santorini is that island you always see in calendars or postcards, with beautiful blue-domed churches against white walls and blue water. It's kind of like a dream. A dream with lots of tourists, but when in Greece you can't even get that bent out of shape over tourists. It's Greece, for crying out loud! Anyways, I thought I'd share some shots that I took of the caldera in Oia (most of what I did in Oia can be described with three verbs: photographing, shopping, eating.) As I mentioned in the last post, Santorini was a volcano once upon a very long time ago, and the caldera is the inside edge of the crater. Villages are sprinkled along this rim, with Oia being the last one on the largest island.

The whites are brilliant in the sun, and as much as I love monochromatic color schemes, I like the way a little bit of contrast makes everything pop.

I've always been a fan of the way the sun paints everything golden as it starts to hunker down on the horizon.

The big church in Oia rings its bells as sunset nears - it was really cool to watch them ring them.

And I've gotta say, night might just be the best time of day here. The winds died down, it cooled off, the lights along the caldera came up...I find myself wondering why I'm not there still....

No comments:

Post a Comment