Monday, December 5, 2011

Rejection.

In my new role as a burgeoning illustrator, I got my first rejection letter today. It was kind of like being punched in the gut. That sounds bad, until you compare a gut punch to a gut kick, or worse, a kick in the teeth. All in all, it could have been worse. This is what Storybird had to say:
"While we have considered the work, unfortunately it does not suit our needs at this time."
That, of course, is never pleasant to hear, but it wasn't as if I was going to make any money off it, and the pressure of making work to put up on their website was going to take a lot of time away from working on Molly, and if I want to have her ready to submit to the SCBWI's contest due on February 15, I can't really afford to get distracted. So it's fine, really.
Also - just look at the artwork on Storybird. I mean, not to knock the artists on there, there's some good stuff going on. But you can tell most of it is strictly digital, and we all know that's cheating, right?
This last picture is what I came up with for my submission for the Tomie de Paola award. We were challenged to illustrate Chicken Licken in a new, exciting way. I think it's safe to say no one's ever illustrated it in quite this manner before. Whether or not that'll win me the prize, who knows, but I'm pleased with how it turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment