Monday, September 10, 2012

Good Idea (???) (4 Nov 2008)

Last night when we were discussing how to get around the sites on the west bank of the Nile at Luxor, Belinda suggested renting a bike, and I thought, "Brilliant!" (Since I'm apparently British, I get to say fun things like that, you wanker.) When we set off down the road on our bikes (hers just happened to be pink, mine was red) after crossing on the ferry, the sun was low, the air was cool, and life was pretty fricking sweet. It was around 8 a.m. then. We decided to bike to Hatshepsut's temple via the Ramesseum, about, I don't know, seven kilometers maybe? Less than the distance from my parents' house to the Glenwood tennis courts, paved the whole way, and with no real hills to speak of. So what if we were riding one-speeds (and the name of that speed is very, very slow)?
Four hours later, and after close to two hours at Hatshepsut's temple, we set back out. The last forty minutes we'd spent turned around, looking for one another because she thought I must have left the temple and I thought she was still there, because I couldn't imagine that she'd left without telling me. So we weren't in the best of moods when we started down the road. It took forty minutes to ride back to the bike shop...forty hot minutes under the scorching, watchful eye of Amun-Re, and we found ourselves asking what on earth possessed us to think this was a good idea. It apparently hasn't been that long since I rode a bike, because I still feel pretty good, for all the riding we did, but Belinda's another story (her bike's tires were also a little low). I managed to not get too sunburnt, but I have acquired a pretty strong tanline from my "wedding" ring, that probably won't be too helpful with the Mormon boys back home (but hey, you never know).
The paintings on Hatshepsut's temple were smashing! Absolutely brilliant!

No comments:

Post a Comment