Thursday, September 13, 2012

Greek Food - Blessing or Curse??? (7 Oct 2008)

I'm not sure how I lived as long as I did without trying foods from other cultures. In the years since I first came to Korea, my palate has been edumacated, and as happy as I am with so many different flavors, I know that soon I will return to the midwest, where they will be hard to come by.

In an attempt to fight against the blandness that awaits me in my homestates, I've been learning to cook. My friendship with Bronte was, largely, founded on the day I asked her where I could learn to cook Korean food. Her answer? "I'll teach you!" During our time together at GDA she taught me to make sundubu, pajeon, spicy taeji gogi, and a host of other amazing dishes. She also taught me, after meeting Vasilis and in my final incarnation at GDA, how to make tzatziki, Greek salads, and what she refers to as "dirty Greek pork," because that is just how talented she is. I begged her to teach me how to make moussaka, but we both lacked ovens and I had yet to refine my rice cooker-oven theory in those days. Well, yesterday the time finally came and it was AMAZING! If you've never had moussaka, you're missing out. Big time. And Bronte's is so succulent and flavorlicious...there just aren't words to describe it, so I'm not even going to try. The moral of the story is, now I know how to make it. Mwahahahaha. Between the three of us we ate the entire pan last night, and I woke up feeling a little worse for wear this morning. Ugh. This is the downside of Greek food - it's so incredibly good, you just want to keep eating it...if I weren't leaving on the 11th, I'd say I had real problems. I've already developed an addiction to souvlaki, and don't even get me talking about tzatziki. But if its a choice between the downside and not eating Greek, I'll find a way to cope.
Took the train into Monastiraki this afternoon and wandered around in the shadow of the Acropolis. It's amazing to think that it's been a whole year and a half since I went there, amazing that I'm back, and it seems hardly changed. I never thought I'd find myself back there, and it gave me a satisfied, peaceful feeling to wander those streets again.

No comments:

Post a Comment