Thursday, September 13, 2012

The Travel Bug (25 Oct 2008)

So my first full day in Egypt I woke up, ate breakfast with a couple from Austria (actually, she was originally from Zimbabwe, and he now works in Libya, but Austria's the best I can do), while Belinda was still sleeping, and had to leave abruptly because I felt that my posterior might suddenly explode. I tried to go on with my day's business of walking on the beach, but was repeatedly called back to the room by nature's call. I finally gave up and just laid down to rest. I guess I should consider myself to be lucky, because I haven't been sick at all since I came here, but I still wish I were a little more myself.

I've had a problem with mosquitos lately. In Korea, they never bit me. Here they're all over me. I brought Bronte's mosquito lotion with me, and put it on my face, hands, and feet, but I seem to miss spots...noticeably, last night, my eyelid. And lately, my mosquito bites have been swelling a LOT, so when they bit my eyelid last night I declared war. At three in the morning, I woke up and started swatting...I got about two dozen of the little bastards, and there were still a few more, but I finally went back to bed, considering I'd done my best, and slept the rest of the night in peace.

Later I went to the center of town to write my blog. I literally paid, walked out of the internet cafe, and threw up in the street. All I had in my stomach was 7-Up and water, so it didn't make too much of a mess, but it was embarassing, and I grabbed a cab back to Habiba Camp and spent the rest of the night in bed.

Today we took a bus from Nuweiba to Cairo. 7 1/2 long hours. The sun was setting as we got into town. Belinda crashed at the hotel, but I was starving, since I had only eaten a Snickers bar all day, and words can't describe how happy I was to drive past the Golden Arches on the way to the Luna Hotel, where we've got a pretty nice room. So that's where I went. There's really something wonderful about walking into McDonald's and ordering food, and having it taste JUST like it does back home. I probably ate too much, my stomach feels a little woozy again, but I didn't care. Now I'm back at the hotel - any more adventures can wait for tomorrow and daylight.

No comments:

Post a Comment