Friday, January 18, 2013

Grub Club: Gobi Cave

We had high hopes.  We really did.  For starters: hello?  Turkish food!  I love Turkish food.  It's some of the best Greek foods with some of the best Arabic foods.  Add to that the fact that it is a kitschy papier-mache cave decor.  I mean, you had me at giant snakes...
Alas!  That was the beginning and ending of it's brilliance.  We opened the menu, and half the items were stickered with "No."  Slightly less frustrating than being told "bah-kway" every time you try to order something, but still not a good sign.  Neither was the fact that they didn't have any mezze on the menu.  I mean, a Turkish restaurant that doesn't have hummus, baba ghanouj, or vine leaves?  Really???
I was excited, though, to see my favorite dish on the menu, iskander kebab.  I've had it in Seoul, Shanghai, and Istanbul itself, and it never fails to satisfy.  Well, not until now, at any rate.  For starters, they only do doner kebab on Fridays, so I had to have adana (a milder form of kofta), and the tomato sauce on top was more of a tomato paste.  We were all kind of dissatisfied with the food, although I've got to say, their salad was quite delicious.
In spite of all that, it was a great dining experience.  I got to sit next to the ever-classy Fire Marshall, in his second of four Star Wars t-shirts for the week.  And when PE's kid started getting restless, I let her play photographer with my phone.  She got very frustrated with the two of us because we couldn't both manage to keep a straight face - in her words, we were "too crazy."

3 comments:

  1. Hey! Try Doner Kebab in Bayanmongol. It just opened so the menu selection isn't very diverse and the décor is very simple, but the food is damn good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely go check it out.

      Delete
    2. Hey I tried to get in touch with you via the mail client on the website, but for some reason I can't get it working. Anyway, I was wondering if you guys would be accepting applications for new members. o.o I've just settled down here in UB recently and would love to make some expat friends. Let me know, take care!

      Delete