Thursday, February 14, 2013

Grub Club: Caucasia

The alternate title for this post was "COCK-asia: Where the music is loud enough to cover your inappropriate conversations."  Last night was Domestic Goddess' second at-bat with the grub club, and she hit it out of the park.  I was exhausted from my trip to Harbin, but I'd been interested in trying this place, so I pulled on my big girl panties and went anyways.  And I was SO glad I did.  For starters, there was the dancing.  Not, unfortunately, live, but I imagine it's difficult to find good Georgian dancers this far east, and the videos they were playing were incredible nevertheless.  Then they brought us all a free beer for the new year.  It was a nice thought, even if I don't drink.

I DO, on the other hand, eat, and with the best of them.  I was immediately interested in the dolmades.  I haven't had them in forever, and even if these were made with cabbage, they were pretty much delicious.  Mad Science and I split them and a Greek Salad, which had just enough dressing on it, and they coated their feta in sesame seeds, which was a new trick to me.
Fire Marshall and Domestic Goddess went for dumplings and this pizza-ish thing for their starters.  I had a slice of that and it was aMAzing!  Next time, I might just make a meal out of that, it was so good.
Our main course was the mixed skewers.  The meat was tender and delicious (even the fatty chunks) and came served with plenty of vegetables.  We had enough food for both of us to eat at lunch today.  And the sauces they served with the meat was a perfect complement.
The best moment of the night was when Domestic Goddess tried to order a beer to go.  They got a little confused, but did the best they could, and brought her a beer glass wrapped in saran wrap.  Then they realized she would need a plastic bag to carry it in, and brought that over, too.  All in all it was a great experience with helpful staff and delicious food.  And it just happens to be conveniently located just east of the Circus.

No comments:

Post a Comment