Sunday, March 10, 2013

Grub Club: Sho

Before I start the Chengdu Blog-a-Thon, I owe you a grub club post.  I should have written this last Wednesday, knowing I was leaving the next day, but...yeah, I didn't.  One thing and another.
So Geek chose last week's restaurant, and went for Sho.  We haven't been out for Japanese since the early days of grubbing, and I was completely okay with that.  I've never been in love with Japanese food.  I had my first sushi when I was in college, and I wanted to like it, I really did, because I wanted to be a hip young art student who ate sushi.  But I hated it.  Over the last two years in Shanghai I came to have a grudging acceptance of sushi.  I couldn't escape it; I might not be hip and young, but my friends were, and so I had sushi...okay, mostly I had teppanyaki, and ate a few pieces of sushi to be polite.  It didn't kill me, but I didn't love it.
This time, I threw myself into it.  I decided I was going to order sushi ALL FOR MYSELF.  I began with the plate of cucumber ones, pictured above with Geek stuffing her face with donkatsu.  Domestic Goddess was talking about the ones below here, something with a cream cheese inside, and I decided I'd order one of those, too.  And you know what?  I think I broke my sushi barrier.  I loved them both.
Then her plate of salmon citrus came out, and it was all over.  It was the perfect blend of flavors.  I've been thinking about it ever since.  So I guess I've been converted to the raw-fish thing.  And that's good, because I'm thinking spring break in Tokyo next year - sushi, sumo, and the kanamara matsuri!

No comments:

Post a Comment