Sunday, September 8, 2013

It's a Small World (Heritage) After All

I was going to write a snarky post for this week about the characters I work with, but I decided I ought to play nice, so I'm finally publishing my UNESCO list.  At Pashupatinath Temple back in July I started wondering about the UNESCO World Heritage Sites I've been to.  Both Time Travel Turtle and Zieak have done this on their blogs, which was probably a subconscious reason I was wondering.  So, in only slightly particular order, here's my list:

United States: the Statue of Liberty
Italy: Venice and the Lagoon, the Palladian Villas of the Veneto, Padua, Verona
South Korea: Hwaseong Fortress, Changdeokgung Palace Complex
Japan: Historic Monuments of Ancient Kyoto
China: Imperial Palaces (the Forbidden City), Mausoleum of the First Qin Emperor (the Terracotta Warriors), the Great Wall, the Potala Palace and Jokhang Temple, Mt. Emei Scenic Area (because it includes the big Buddha), Classical Gardens of Suzhou, the Temple of Heaven, Sichuan Giant Panda Sanctuaries, West Lake Cultural Landscape of Hangzhou
Bahrain: Qal'at al-Bahrain
Greece: the Acropolis, Delphi
Turkey: Historic Areas of Istanbul, Archaeological Site of Troy
Jordan: Petra, Wadi Rum Protected Area
Egypt: Giza Necropolis, Islamic Cairo, Theban Necropolis (Valley of the Kings and other funerary temples), Thebes (Luxor)
India: Humayun's Tomb, Qutub Minar, Khajuraho, Agra Fort, Fatephur Sikri, Taj Mahal
France: Paris' Banks of the Seine
England: Westminster, the Tower of London
Peru: Cuzco, Machu Picchu, Nazca Lines, the Historic Center of Lima
Chile: Rapa Nui National Park (Easter Island)
Mongolia: Orkhon Valley Cultural LandscapePetroglyphs of the Mongolian Altai
Nepal: the Kathmandu Valley, Basantapur Durbar Square (Kathmandu), Bhaktapur Durbar Square, Patan Durbar Square, Pashupatinath, Bodhnath Stupa, Maru Hiti, Swayambhunath

Which puts me at 52 World Heritage Sites.  Not too shabby, for someone who wasn't trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment