Friday, October 25, 2013

Grub Club: Seoul Galbi


 My grub club posts are getting later and later each week.  I should tell you how sorry I am and beg for your forgiveness, but considering I wrote 160-some report cards this week (and didn't half-ass it like some of my colleagues, who apparently think that comments are optional), you'll just have to suck it up.

So.  This week Geek redeemed herself a little by choosing a pretty good Korean place, Seoul Galbi.  What did we eat?  Daeji galbi (pork bbq), kimchi jjigae (kimchi stew), and dolsot bibimbap (stone hotpot with rice and veggies).  And lots and LOTS of pancheon.  One of the best thing about Korean restaurants (when they're done right, which is not always a guarantee outside of Korea) is the free, refillable side dishes, and Seoul Galbi had some good ones, let me tell you.  They had the little rolled up egg one, they had the pancakes (buchim), and they even had cucumber kimchi.  It was soooo good.

I do have a complaint, though - our server didn't come stand at our table and cook our food for us.  Luckily we had an experienced griller (this girl) at the table.  I would have preferred Coach do the honors, since he's the grillmaster extraordinaire and I just wanted to eat, but since he's been MIA for the last two dinners, I had to fill in.  Unfortunately, I didn't do the best job - I charred enough bits of meat to give a Korean cancer (that's an inside joke - my fellow weiguks should get it).
This is what was left as we were getting ready to depart.  We really cleaned up.  The kimchi jjigae was good, but I ran out of rice, and you really have to live in Korea to love it enough to clean that sucker out.  Squeaker ordered some sort of chicken stew thing, which is the other half-eaten dish you'll see.  I tried to warn her off it, since she'd never had Korean food, and I (in all my years in Korea) had never even heard of it, but it was half-hearted.  Grub Club is all about trying new things, after all.  Sometimes it's just a swing and a miss.

Seoul Galbi is just off Peace Avenue on the south side, between the Blue Sky building and the bridge you cross going east from there (closer to the bridge than Blue Sky), and pretty reasonably priced (a plate of daeji galbi cost 28,000 tugrugs, and was enough for three people).

No comments:

Post a Comment