Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Grub Club: Tendo


 What kind of girl takes you to an Italian restaurant and doesn't show you what the pasta looks like?  This girl right here.  I have to start out with an apology this week - I was starting to worry that my pasta was never going to make it, and when it finally came, I jumped right in.  By the time I realized what I'd done, it was too late...everyone was nearly done because, regrettably, the portions were not that big.

Anyways, this was our last day of vacation, and it didn't take much convincing to get everyone to agree to go ahead with Grub Club.  Today it was my turn to pick a restaurant, and I went for a new Italian place on Beatles Street that I'd heard about on UB Foodies - Tendo.  From the outside, it's not much to look at - a brown facade with a very small sign with the name on it (luckily the directions left on the Foodies were specific or I would have had my work cut out for me on my reconnaissance).

The inside, however, had a nice ambiance - warm, low lighting and dark colors.  It's not a huge restaurant (with not-huge chairs that my ass just barely managed to squeeze into).  More to the point, it came with a carb overload.  I've never been into the long crunchy breadsticks, and these were pretty much par for the course, but the little bread knots were brushed with olive oil and white wine (which probably cooked out) and were hard to stop eating.

Especially when more and more dishes kept coming out, none of which were my penne arabbiata.  As I said, the dishes were small ("Japan-sized," as Champ put it) so the fact that I ate waaaay too much bread kind of worked itself out, and I didn't go home starving (thankfully, since Engrish bought me a 6-pack of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups).
Besides carbs and MORE carbs (I don't care what you call them in Italian, Geek and Squeaker ordered fried taters), there were some soups (minestrone and cream of mushroom) which went over well, Engrish had a nice side salad (I don't know if it was as nice as she thought it was - probably she was just happy not to have to eat any more buuz), and - of course - pastas of all sorts.  We ended up with linguine, penne, and spaghetti all on the table.  I found them to be fairly authentic, which is to say, a lot lighter on the flavor than we Americans usually make it, but it was a nice change of pace.  They also had some paninis which sounded amazing, but since Blondie wasn't there to order a sandwich this week, we can only guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment