Sunday, March 16, 2014

QuickTrip

It's taking a lot to get me going this morning.  I just got back at 1 a.m. from the ACAMIS conference, where I was representing my school in the Cultural Enrichment arm of the organization.  It was an energizing weekend, followed by a soul-sucking trip back (ie, never, ever let me take trips with a layover in Beijing during the spring - I don't like it enough to get stuck there).

Also, Chinese Coke > Mongolian Coke. 

I'll talk about the conference on my teaching blog, but there were a few things to share about a short trip back to Shanghai:
The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Muppets:
Fashion is not so important that poor helpless Muppets should have to give up their lives for it.  Also, I bet that thing is not exactly flame retardant, not to mention spring has fully sprung in Shanghai, and it seems like she should have been really hot.  Who wears something like this?
Actually, this was parked just after where I saw her.  Maybe a person who wears a Muppet fur coat drives a car this color?  Don't care for the color, but I kind of dig the iridescent carnival glass looking rims on the wheels.
Food is always a highlight of time spent in Shanghers.  Last spring I didn't end up getting to go for teppanyaki; this weekend my friend Siobhan helped me to rectify that situation by making a reservation for me and 7 of my nearest and dearest at Uminosachi on Nanyang Lu.  The big bursts of flame didn't have that much to do with the food, as far as I can tell, but it made for an impressive show.  The fact that you can get all-you-can-eat teppanyaki (including sushi and sashimi) for 198 kuai (about $30) is excellent, and even after eating for a couple of hours, you don't feel sick from eating too much.
I ate some other delicious things - JoAnn ordered me a pizza from New York Style Pizza for when I got in on Thursday night (FYI - Air China's food sucks a big bag of ....), and barbecue from Bubba's for our Saturday night gab session, which I supplemented with the sweetest, juiciest strawberries, found as I was walking down Hongmei Lu, but nothing made me quite as happy as finding that Hongqiao airport had a Macca's serving breakfast at 7 o'clock Sunday morning.  I also would have killed for some xiaolongbao (soup dumplings), a visit to the jjimjjilbang in K-Town, or time with my friend Meen, but considering how long I was there and how much I fit in (I didn't mention the Ikea trip for frames, a stop at Marie's for assorted art supplies, or teapot buying at Hongqiao Pearl City), not to mention the fantastic conference, it was well worth a trip back into China and all the consequent frustrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment