Monday, April 7, 2014

Grub Club: Bangkok

It is a very sad night here in Tokyo.  I heard the Ghibli museum was a must-see, but I wasn't sure I wanted to go until I was at the onsen in Hakone last night and thinking about how cool it would be if it was like the one in Spirited Away, and I realized that the museum was probably as close as I was going to get.  And so as soon as I checked into my hotel I went to the nearest Lawson's to buy a ticket for the only day I can possibly go - Wednesday - but, woe is me! - they are sold out for every time slot that day.  I might have cried a little.  It is so demoralizing that I can't bring myself to write about my Japanese adventures thus far, so instead, you're getting a grub club post.
Engrish decided to take my idea from last week and chose Bangkok for this week.  They've just reopened in a new location a block back from the State Department Store.  It is disappointing for me, because I always liked visiting the Union of Mongolian Artists when I went to the restaurant, and I liked their view over Sukhbaatar Square, although I like the fact that there is no longer a huge bulletin board outside shouting in at me while I'm trying to eat.

Every single grub club member except Engrish ordered the pad Thai.  Pad Thai is delicious, but today's servings were a little on the bland side.  Champ asked for some pepper and salt to spice it up - I went with a little lemon instead.  I'm hoping these are just growing pains - normally the pad Thai at Bangkok is pretty good.
I also ordered their panaeng chicken curry.  This is what I nearly always order, and I would have just had it for dinner, but I wanted leftovers for Friday's lunch.  Based on how the pad Thai turned out, I should have just had two orders of panaeng gai.

I normally order spring rolls, too, but they were bakwei, a fact which sent me running for Cinnabon because I was really hungry Thursday night.
And then Engrish ordered whatever this was.  It sure looked and smelled good, but it's hard for me to order anything besides panaeng gai and pad Thai.  She liked it, and that's what counts.

Aaaaaand, that's about enough Grub Club.  

No comments:

Post a Comment