Saturday, May 31, 2014

Grub Club: Gone but Not Pho-gotten

 Well, as you may have noticed, I've been MIA for a couple of weeks.  You can't say I didn't warn you - it has been an incredibly busy end of the school year, as predicted, but the real reason I haven't been writing is the fact that I've gone native.  In case you don't know, "going native" means that you adopt the habits or lifestyle of the local population.  Well, I've been spending a lot of time with teenagers, and one of my favorites used to watch an anime series called Fairy Tail during yearbook club.  Which made me curious enough to download it, and although I am a little embarrassed to admit it, I'm totally hooked, which has contributed to my neglect of my blog (a corner of the internet I considered my baby a year ago).

Wow.  A year ago.  Time flies.

Anyways, it was Champ's pick two times back, and she went with a pho (Vietnamese rice noodle soup) place on Baga Toiruu, across from Namaste.  I have no idea what it's called, but it was amazing.  As Engrish and I walked through the door the delicate aromas of lemongrass and whatever the hell else they put in pho hit our olfactory nerves, and decided for most of us that we were having either the chicken or beef pho.  We haven't been so similar in our choices since the night we went to German Doner.
Engrish had been here before with our small-footed friend, Five, and she said the fried spring rolls were great.  We asked for them but were told that they were bah-kwei.  We ordered the regular spring rolls - which were nice and refreshing - and then our waiter came back and said they could do the fried ones, and how many did we want?  So we had a lot of spring rolls, although I personally preferred the fried ones.

Engrish also had a salad, because apparently she's part rabbit.  It smelled amazing, and I may have snaked a couple of bites off her plate.  It had a really lovely citrusy/sesame-ey flavor, and I also may have been scooping little sips of dressing off her plate after she finished.  It was delicious food....however, the point was made that pho is not all that satisfying.  At least not on a warm day in Mongolia.

No comments:

Post a Comment