Saturday, May 17, 2014

Grub Club: Gusto

Well, ya win some, ya lose some.  This week Little Miss Catwalk experienced that firsthand with her pick of Gusto.  It's an Italian restaurant on Beatles Street.  Personally, I think it's really hard to screw up Italian - pretty much every country I've lived in has had decent Italian, unlike Mexican, which seems to be really hard for people outside North America to get right.  And Gusto was not horrible, because as I said, it is REALLY hard to screw it up...but they seemed to be trying for all they were worth.
I started with a Greek salad, because they were out of caesar, and it was just about as good a Greek as I've had here - lots of feta, not a lettuce leaf to be found, and the dressing was not overpowering.  While waiting for it, the waiter walked past with bread for another table, and I decided we needed some bread, too.  This turned out to be my best decision of the night.  The garlic butter that came with it was the stuff of dreams.  However, it was downhill from there.  Their penne arabbiata didn't live up to my standards.  It wasn't bad, but it wasn't really right, either.
Blondie and Little Miss Catwalk each ordered pizza.  This was their margherita pizza, and as you can see it has neither slices of tomato nor leaves of basil.  Blondie reckons it was a frozen pizza. 

Champ ordered the tortelloni soup.  The tortelloni looked more like buuz, although they had pork in them rather than mutton, at least.  With only a few weeks left in the school year, we have to hope for a couple more wins before we head off our separate ways.

And speaking of the end of the school year - this week has been rough, and next week may not be any better.  Next year remind me not to plan so many big projects in the last month of school.  But there are lantern ceremony pictures to blog about one of these days, so don't give up on me yet.

Also, for the record, if you ever accidentally hit some keys on your laptop with your face while watching anime in bed and can't figure out how to unlock your mousepad...not that anything like that EVER happened to me...it's ALT+F9.  You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment