Saturday, May 31, 2014

Happy Birthday, Buddha!


It really does seem hard to believe a year has already gone by since the last lantern festival.  Domestic Goddess, Fire Marshall, and Five have been off having adventures in other lands, yet it seems like we were just seeing them off to the airport.  My budding workaholism has really kept the days moving, and I've enjoyed it, but man oh MAN am I ready for a break!

I don't think there's a lot I can tell you about the lantern festival that I haven't already said last year.  It's in celebration of Visak Puja (sometimes known as Duichin Day) - the day when Buddha's birth, enlightenment, and death is celebrated.   However, I think my photos turned out better this year than last (probably because I took the photos myself instead of giving my camera away so I could help light the lantern).  I had great friends to hang out with, and if the weather was a little wet and cold, well, it made us appreciate the torches all the more.
Little Miss Catwalk and Champ lighting their torch.

Our lantern, filling up with hot air.

Getting ready to sail away.

Wishes floating away.
This has got to be the most magical moment of the year - thousands of lanterns floating up into the night.  Part of me wants to spend the next Duichin Day on top of Zaisan watching the lanterns rising from the stadium toward us.  This is one of those moments when it's impossible not to believe in magic. 

1 comment:

  1. Love, love, love your pictures of this. I wished I could've taken better ones last year. I'm just glad I got to experience it at least once in my life. It is quite magical, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete