Sunday, August 3, 2014

The Stupid Story About My Flight to Hong Kong

So I'm sure I'll have a word or two to say about my trip home at some point, but not even two full days after getting back to UB I have found my way back to the airport, waiting to board a plane to Hong Kong.  I say that as if it was a surprise, in spite of the fact that I purchased the bloody ticket myself back in April, but the fact is, it kinda was.

Blondie was the one who alerted me to a great fare to Hong Kong - less than $500 dollars round trip!  At that time, I was hoping to take my students there next year, but I needed to do a reconnaissance run first so I knew what I was getting myself into, which made the ticket she found ideal.  I went home and checked it out on cheapoair.com, and there it was - Air Mauritanie, flight 885, nonstop to Hong Kong.  I was a little sketched out because Air Mauritanie supposedly folded in 2007, and what was an African airline doing running direct flights from UB to HK, anyways?  But it was too good to pass up, so I booked it.

Then I started to freak out.  Blondie never got a confirmation for her flight, and then they emailed her and said the fare was more expensive, so she cancelled her ticket.  I called and asked about my ticket, but they told me mine was confirmed, and when I told them I didn't think I wanted to go, told me that they would keep half of the cost, and the airline would charge $100 for canceling, so it seemed like a waste, since if it really was a bogus ticket I'd get my money back, anyway.

And that is why I hadn't done any packing for this trip and was still thinking about what I was going to do in my classroom this week at 12:30 last night when I looked at Chinggis airport's website and realized, "Oh, shit - I actually am going to Hong Kong!"  So I packed (just my camera backpack, because I am SO done with checked luggage!), got a shower, booked a room at a guest house, and set an alarm.  When I woke up, I called for a taxi and brushed my teeth, and now here I am...waiting for my flight.  On Hunnu Air.  Because apparently someone forgot to tell the lovely people at cheapoair.com that Air Mauritanie no longer exists and the airline code MR now stands for Hunnu Air.  I'm not exactly thrilled to be going, which sucks, because Hong Kong is supposed to be a really fun place, but all the same I'd rather save my money and get ready for the school year.  But I'm sure I'll find a way to enjoy myself one way or the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment