Friday, November 7, 2014

Grub Club: Shibuya


Yes, I realize it took til November, but Grub Club is finally back.  We've been trying, since August, actually, but never got more than three of us together.  Finally, Lil' Miss Catwalk said she wouldn't be able to come on Thursday because of student council, which she facilitates, so we moved it to Tuesday, which has led us to be much more successful.  However, this was our first new restaurant, so this is the official first post of the new school year.

This week was Champ's pick, and she took us to Shibuya, a teppanyaki restaurant on Seoul Street.  I've been there a couple of times and found it to be decent, so I was copacetic (heh, these days when am I NOT copacetic when it comes to Japanese food?)

Champ, Lil' Miss Catwalk, Engrish, and Blondie all tried the yakitori, and seemed to think they were pretty good.  Blondie was a particular fan of the tofu salad (bottom right corner of the plate), which is good because she ended up getting a LOT of it.
I, on the other hand, decided to go with a ramen and some sushi.  The ramen had a nice flavor, and had a lot of vegetables in it - mushrooms, carrots, and bean sprouts - along with some tasty pork (albeit not the thin slices you normally expect to get in ramen).  I really enjoyed it.
The sushi, on the other hand...yeah, not so much.  The problem with Shibuya's sushi rolls is the fact that they give them names but don't actually tell you what is in them.  So I ordered the Lion King roll, which looked like a crab and cucumber with salmon on top.  And that would have been tasty.  Instead, it had something akin to coleslaw in it, and I still have no idea what kind of fish that is on top.  It's not salmon, that's for damn sure.  In between that hot mess is some overcooked rice.  I didn't notice the rice with everything else that's going on there, but my friends ordered spicy tuna rolls, which made it much more noticeable.  The rice had a gummy, almost kind of paste-ish consistency, and nobody was a big fan of it. 
Speaking of Japan, and fans...or fangirls, rather, Halloween was last Friday.  I was working on my Erza Scarlet costume until I went to bed last Thursday.  I decided I wanted to do this in June or July (after all, thanks to my red hair and huge...tracts of land...I'm halfway to being an anime character as it is), but my first couple of tries were failures.  I finally started looking at her different kinds of armor and figured if I was willing to sacrifice one of my "Little Chinese Seamstress" dresses I could just barely pull it off.  Student reviews were mixed, but my hardcore otakus approved, so I can live with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment