Sunday, January 22, 2017

Vignette 2: My Comfort in Affliction

So my last post before Christmas was about my dream job.  A couple of days before school let out, it disappeared from my jobseeking website, and that was a bummer.  I'm understating it, because it sucks and there's nothing I can do about it except wait and apply for the next one.  Which is what I did while I was home - this one not so dreamy as the last, but after due consideration I decided that not only would I teach anklebiters again if it meant living in Osaka, I actually kind of looked forward to it.

Unfortunately that didn't work out, either, and that was disappointing too, but kind of a relief as well.  The day I left UB I decided I should up my jobseeking game by redesigning my resume.  It's been in a state of flux for a good long while now, but I decided I would get creative.  See, I'd seen things online about crazy job strategies that worked, and decided if I was an art teacher looking for work in JAPAN, a CV illustrated in manga style might just not be as crazy as it kind of sounds.  So I set to work on it, but didn't have it finished before the Osaka job came up, and had to send my boring, text-only resume - I would have been a little bitter if I'd done all that work, and then gotten hired before it was finished.

I would have gotten over it, because hell yeah, Osaka!  I'm just sayin'.
So here's a thing you might not know about art teachers (I'm assuming all art teachers are basically like me here, but if you know some that aren't in this case, I'm sorry, you got ripped off): our most cherished museums have pieces of art that kind of like our friends.  For me, it's the Nelson and the Joslyn, in KC and Omaha, respectively.  It's been a really long time since I got to visit Shiva and John the Baptist at the Nelson, but I go to the Joslyn most every time I'm home, especially now that it's free.  Mostly I like to sit by the Chihuly chandelier and stare up at the light shining through the glass, but I make sure to stroll through most of the galleries, and see what's new.  I also like the fountain court.  It's one of the best examples of Art Deco in all of the Midwest, and I find it soothing to sit there and listen to the water.  After a visit to the Joslyn on New Year's Eve (what I like to think of as my shrine visit), I felt a lot more at peace about my utter inability to quickly and easily land a job in Japan.  Maybe it's just not meant to be (in that case, I hope that the job I applied to a week ago in Switzerland IS, since I'd be near my ancestral home, and there is something very appealing about one of us coming back, since most of us moved the other direction).
Afterwards, I hit up the Spaghetti Works in downtown Omaha.  I rarely go to the Joslyn without stopping in the Old Market for lunch.  It's just part of what coming home means to me - art and bottomless pasta.  When I was in high school, Brucie and I could spend hours wandering into shops - Homer's for music, the Antiquarian for old books, some ice cream at Ted and Wally's.  It was way better than a mall - so many more interesting things to look at.  This shot's from a building called the Passageway, which has an atrium reaching from the basement to the skylights above, hung with a variety of vines.  When I saw Paris' galleries, covered shopping spaces hundreds of years old, they reminded me of this.  Along one side is an art gallery that exits onto a sculpture garden, with busts representing each of the planets and the sun.  Westward on Howard Street, there's a shop called City Limits, which is probably where I saw my first Anne Taintor card, and where I now by my BlueQ socks...this time I got a pair for all my girls (my favorites were the ones I got Engrish, which boldly proclaim that wine is her favorite vegetable). 

I tell myself that if I owned one of those lofts around 11th and Howard, it wouldn't be that bad to live in Omaha.  Maybe when I retire, and I can have my cafe downstairs - I haven't told you my new retirement plan, nor am I planning to - I don't want anyone to steal it.  Just pretend I'm still planning to drive a pimped-out tuk-tuk around the States for the warmest part of the year doing art camps for charity, and hanging out with the fam when it's cold, substitute teaching to save for the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment