I don't have a problem with Disney. I want to lead with that. Disney's great. But I've never been to any of the Disney theme parks. I'd never been near one til I visited the Evil One's ancestral home in sunny California, and I think she was a little disappointed that I didn't want to go, even if she understood my obsessive need to hit all the big art museums. When I was in Hong Kong a few years back, I saw the stop further down the train line I was riding in from the airport, but didn't feel even the slightest temptation to go (most likely because I was more than a month away from my next paycheck). I love a good rollercoaster, but Disney just seems overhyped, overpriced, and not the way this nerd rolls.
However, when I found out my current school has an annual school trip to Disney, I found myself thinking it would be a good opportunity to finally experience Disneyland for "free." That was my attitude for most of the school year...but then, I got the news. I was going with the class that has given more more white hairs this year than any other class. It's not that I don't like them. I do. There are TONS of good artists in this class, and they have lots of personality, so they can be lots of fun. But there's a fine line between fun and torture. The majority of the class is also terrible at following directions the first time you give them, and in general they are pretty strong-willed. This is not a good combination when visiting a crowded amusement park where you've never been before, and to be completely honest, I was terrified. I could see myself losing a child because they weren't listening to me, and then being run out of the country by angry parents with pitchforks.*
So today I bring you a blog about guiding 10 anklebiters around Disneyland. Here's my first piece of advice - step in and be the voice of reason. Guiding elementary students is like herding cats. They will be all over the place. Two will be a block ahead of you and four will be trailing about a block behind. Rein that shit in and keep them close. Also, when you go to get your first fastpass and find out that you can't GET it, rather than running all over the park, just make an executive decision to start riding rides. Trust me - an hour in line for Pooh's Hunny Hunt may seem like torture** but at least they'll all be right there with you, and when it's over they'll be too excited about going on another ride to argue with you. Also, it will make the 13 minute wait for the Haunted Mansion seem ridiculously short.
We eventually did get that fastpass - for Splash Mountain, as it turns out. It was the only one we got...and actually the only one we really needed. The week after Golden Week is apparently a slow one at Disney, so we made it through most of the rides in 30 minutes or less. Splash Mountain, on the other hand, had a really long line, and all my kids and I were incredibly satisfied to walk past several other groups from our school standing in the slow line.
My mom always wanted to take us to Disney growing up, and a year or two back, she finally got the opportunity to go with the niblings. This was not my mom's Disney trip. For starters, I blew through a significant part of my paycheck during Golden week and didn't have a lot of money to snack on (I did enjoy the honey-flavored popcorn...just not as much as I like Topsy's cinnamon, and not to the tune of 350 yen a pop). My personal approach to theme parks is that they are best explored with a full wallet (or an indulgent fairy grandmother, in the case of the niblings...there's no guarantee that she will buy everything for you, but she does have the power to command your artistic aunt to make you that hand-painted princess parasol). Since keeping an eye on my small friends kept me from doing any browsing, and to be honest, mouse ears aren't my thing***, this was fine. If we took them to USJ, I might be singing a different tune.
Apparently what it takes to get me to finish this blog is a night watch. At the beginning of the school year, relatively fresh off a camping trip with my best class, my new administrators asked teachers to sign up for activity responsibilities, and I went with the grade 5/6 overnight. It didn't seem like such a great idea by the time I was shoving my blanket and pillow in a bag yesterday morning, although it hasn't turned out to be that bad, and hey, I'm finally getting some writing done. I'm planning to buy a new laptop while I'm home for the summer, so hopefully the next year's worth of blogging (not to mention courses for my master's) will be a little less onerous.
*It's possible that the damage inflicted by my Dark Lord and Master's threats during our first meeting in Korea went deeper than either of us realized.
**And it will be, FYI - they will all take turns swinging on the ropes and/or chains in the line, causing you to have visions of them toppling over backwards and cracking their heads open.
***And, you know. American animation in general.


No comments:
Post a Comment