So. Another school year has come around. I've been back in Japan for a month now, and have been having plenty of adventures but this is the first thing I've actually sat down to write. I can't offer an explanation or excuse - hell, blogging was half of the reason I brought this shiny new laptop that's sitting on my kitchen table - it just is what it is. Now that I've started, I'll be better. Probably.
Those adventures started with a printmaking workshop. Ever since I discovered Motoharu Asaka's lessons (facilitated with translations by Louise Rouse) through Tokyo Weekender, I've been wanting to study with him (c'mon, he's a master of ukiyo-e and that shit is right up my alley). Time and money were an issue though, since I was already studying Nihonga painting with Maria every Saturday, and then the icing on the cake was the fact that Louise is gone this fall, teaching in the States. I thought I might have to miss out on studying mokuhanga until I saw they were doing a four-day workshop before she left in August on the Art Byte Critique facebook page. It happened to coincide with part of our school orientation, but since I happen to be the art teacher and was planning to teach printmaking this year, I not only managed to justify missing the orientation, I also was successful in getting it funded. Even if I hadn't, it would have been well worth it. I learned so much, and it was cool to meet more of the artists around Tokyo. I'd like to write a whole post about it, because the experience deserves it, but since the purpose of this post is more of a general year 2 kickoff, I'll leave it at that.
The third day of the workshop coincided with an event I've been hoping to see for a while, Asakusa Toro Nagashi. Wishes are written on the lanterns and they float down the river as part of Obon celebrations, guiding the spirits of the departed back to the other side. I met up with the Director, and after scoping out the Asakusa side of the Sumida river, we went over to the opposite bank, which was less crowded but contrary to the reports I'd read, was also set up to release lanterns. We sat above the river for a while talking as things got started, but eventually moved down to the river's edge, insinuating ourselves into the crowd to get better photos (because some dumbass forgot her telephoto lens). I enjoyed it, but I have to say, it was not as magical as setting off sky lanterns in Mongolia. The river is never absolutely packed with lanterns in the same way.
I still find myself missing Mongolia, and not just because of this heat. Maybe I always will.
One drawback of the mokuhanga workshop was the bright and early commute into Tokyo four days straight. I do it both days nearly every weekend, but it was pretty exhausting to start early and come home late four days in a row. I regret nothing, but the final day I was dragging ass as I got on the bus at Kikuna station for the final part of my commute. I wanted nothing in the world so much as to get home and take my shower so I could get some sleep before the next day of school. Just before my stop though, I heard the beat of taiko and caught the flash of lanterns out of the corner of my eye, and realized my neighborhood's bon odori was taking place.
Now, this may seem a little out of order. Toro nagashi is supposed to light the way back for souls, but the bon dance is meant to call them down in the first place. My only explanation is that even though Obon takes place in August, there are celebrations throughout the month. Last year I went to the bon odori in Hibiya park during my crazy dance weekend, and that was the last weekend in August. Needless to say, when I realized what was going on I found that I was not quite as tired as I thought, and walked half a block back to check out the festivities (read: see if they were still selling shaved ice) rather than going straight home.
So that's how year two began. I've been watching for things to do and my dedication to you, my six faithful readers, remains strong, but it's a little different these days. Between work, my current course toward my master's, arting, and binge-watching four seasons of Supernatural* while challenging myself with new, hideously difficult plushie designs (because I tripped that obsession again while I was home), there's only so much time in the week. Also, I did a LOT of things last fall, and - for example - killing yourself making it to three different dance events in one day isn't as appealing when you've already tried that particular mode of masochism. For now, just rest assured there will be plenty of hilarious stories about my crazy shenanigans to come.
*I just started #8. How did they get through thirteen seasons without getting me hooked? I connect with it on so many levels (not least of which is Dean saying, "It's called anime, and it's art.")! I'm going to blame Time Lady who turned me off by being just a little too obsessed with it, but honestly, it probably goes back to my own anime addiction.
Those adventures started with a printmaking workshop. Ever since I discovered Motoharu Asaka's lessons (facilitated with translations by Louise Rouse) through Tokyo Weekender, I've been wanting to study with him (c'mon, he's a master of ukiyo-e and that shit is right up my alley). Time and money were an issue though, since I was already studying Nihonga painting with Maria every Saturday, and then the icing on the cake was the fact that Louise is gone this fall, teaching in the States. I thought I might have to miss out on studying mokuhanga until I saw they were doing a four-day workshop before she left in August on the Art Byte Critique facebook page. It happened to coincide with part of our school orientation, but since I happen to be the art teacher and was planning to teach printmaking this year, I not only managed to justify missing the orientation, I also was successful in getting it funded. Even if I hadn't, it would have been well worth it. I learned so much, and it was cool to meet more of the artists around Tokyo. I'd like to write a whole post about it, because the experience deserves it, but since the purpose of this post is more of a general year 2 kickoff, I'll leave it at that.
The third day of the workshop coincided with an event I've been hoping to see for a while, Asakusa Toro Nagashi. Wishes are written on the lanterns and they float down the river as part of Obon celebrations, guiding the spirits of the departed back to the other side. I met up with the Director, and after scoping out the Asakusa side of the Sumida river, we went over to the opposite bank, which was less crowded but contrary to the reports I'd read, was also set up to release lanterns. We sat above the river for a while talking as things got started, but eventually moved down to the river's edge, insinuating ourselves into the crowd to get better photos (because some dumbass forgot her telephoto lens). I enjoyed it, but I have to say, it was not as magical as setting off sky lanterns in Mongolia. The river is never absolutely packed with lanterns in the same way.
I still find myself missing Mongolia, and not just because of this heat. Maybe I always will.
One drawback of the mokuhanga workshop was the bright and early commute into Tokyo four days straight. I do it both days nearly every weekend, but it was pretty exhausting to start early and come home late four days in a row. I regret nothing, but the final day I was dragging ass as I got on the bus at Kikuna station for the final part of my commute. I wanted nothing in the world so much as to get home and take my shower so I could get some sleep before the next day of school. Just before my stop though, I heard the beat of taiko and caught the flash of lanterns out of the corner of my eye, and realized my neighborhood's bon odori was taking place.
Now, this may seem a little out of order. Toro nagashi is supposed to light the way back for souls, but the bon dance is meant to call them down in the first place. My only explanation is that even though Obon takes place in August, there are celebrations throughout the month. Last year I went to the bon odori in Hibiya park during my crazy dance weekend, and that was the last weekend in August. Needless to say, when I realized what was going on I found that I was not quite as tired as I thought, and walked half a block back to check out the festivities (read: see if they were still selling shaved ice) rather than going straight home.
So that's how year two began. I've been watching for things to do and my dedication to you, my six faithful readers, remains strong, but it's a little different these days. Between work, my current course toward my master's, arting, and binge-watching four seasons of Supernatural* while challenging myself with new, hideously difficult plushie designs (because I tripped that obsession again while I was home), there's only so much time in the week. Also, I did a LOT of things last fall, and - for example - killing yourself making it to three different dance events in one day isn't as appealing when you've already tried that particular mode of masochism. For now, just rest assured there will be plenty of hilarious stories about my crazy shenanigans to come.
*I just started #8. How did they get through thirteen seasons without getting me hooked? I connect with it on so many levels (not least of which is Dean saying, "It's called anime, and it's art.")! I'm going to blame Time Lady who turned me off by being just a little too obsessed with it, but honestly, it probably goes back to my own anime addiction.



No comments:
Post a Comment