Sunday, January 27, 2019

Bullet with Butterfly Wings

So the Monkey Park was great, but do you know what's even better?  Riding the Shinkansen, Japan's bullet train.  Imagine if a train and an airplane fell in love and had a baby.  That's essentially what the Shinkansen is:  clean, fast, and convenient.
To be honest, I wasn't sure if I'd have the chance to ride the Shink before I leave Japan.  As I once (accidentally) told the nerds I left behind, Japan is fucking expensive, and the bullet train is one of the most expensive things I've encountered.  So when I was trying to figure out the logistics of getting to Jigokudani, I actually asked Sensei about taking the slow train.  She looked it up for me, but the Shinkansen turned out to be cheaper, and that was all the provocation I needed.  The following Saturday morning saw me on a platform at Tokyo Station waiting to be allowed to board the train.

See, the train gets into the station, everyone gets off (because Tokyo is the last station on the line, or, in my case, the first), and then the crew goes to town and cleans the whole train in about fifteen minutes.  About five minutes before departure the doors open to let everyone on, and we all file in, in the most polite and orderly way.  I was still getting my backpack and coat settled above my seat when I realized the train was already moving.  I'd hardly felt it take off.

It was so easy.  I'd sprung for the reserved seat, and there was no one sitting next to me the whole hour and forty-five minutes.  I felt the euphoria attached to travel shenanigans take hold of me and I realized that this is what I'd been missing.  It's a little strange, but over the last few years in Mongolia I found myself getting less excited about traveling, and decided it was okay that I wasn't going to have much money for traveling while I was in Japan - after all, everything I wanted to see was here.  That said, I have to admit that when Shutterfly or Facebook remind me what I was doing one year ago, or five, I feel jealous of myself.  I miss being that intrepid traveler, and I have to say, that's one of the things I'm looking forward to the most about going back to Mongolia.

Because, oh yeah, that's happening.  In my last post I mentioned I wasn't renewing my contract.  The kicker is that neither is my successor at my old school.  When I finally told my students I was leaving UB, I tried to reassure them that I might be back, and it turns out that's exactly what I'm doing.  What can I say - I miss them.  And Engrish and Blondie, who are still there.  And having money to travel, and save, and, oh yeah, pay for this master's degree that I'm in the middle of.  I also miss being able to get foot massages and eat hotpot and take taxis.  So that's that.  Back to Mongolia I go!
I enjoyed having an empty seat beside me so much that I actually bought the Shinkansen equivalent of a business class ticket on the way back because I wanted a little more room, and let me tell you, THAT was totally worth it.  I worked on my current sewing project and checked out the bathroom, and watched the trolley witch roll her trolley full of goodies past (I didn't buy anything because this was not the Hogwarts Express so she didn't have any pumpkin pasties or chocolate frogs). 

I loved the whole experience so much that I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it again in two weeks - we have a (sorta) three-day weekend, and I still haven't been to the Zao Fox Village.

No comments:

Post a Comment