Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Gateway Drug

Mention anime figures to a certified normie, and you might get a look of disgust.  Everyone knows what that person is thinking of: attractive, big-busted (possibly underage) women, scantily clad and in anatomically unlikely positions.  Well, there’s a reason why that’s a stereotype.  There are an awful lot of bishoujo figures out there.

That is not, however, all there is out there.  Figures come in a variety of formats, and at different sizes.  But the best, in my humble opinion, are the nendoroids I mentioned in my last post.  These are figures with exaggerated, “chibi” proportions - huge heads with small bodies.  They have interchangeable parts, allowing you to do more with them.  They’re smaller than a lot of figures, which means they'll be easier to pack up to your next port of call.  Of course, some people think they’re expensive, but those people probably collect Funko Pops (which there’s nothing wrong with, even if the quality of the two can’t even be compared).  Plus you can pose them and change their expressions, and even (if you’re tech-savvy and don’t have other things to do with your time) create stop-motion animation using them, as seen in the video below by Dan Von Carr.

However, my favorite thing about nendos (as we hip kids call them) is the fact that they demonstrate greater gender equality.  I’m much more likely to find a nendo of a character I like than I am a scale figure.  Hell, I think they may actually be planning to make every damn Touken Ranbu character there is, and that’s saying a lot.  GoodSmile, the company that makes them, has a tendency to make whole series of characters from given shows.
For example, every one of the Generation of Miracles, from Kuroko no Basuke.  One Saturday morning in May, I missed my planned Saturday outing because SOME idiot (ie, the one who writes this blog) volunteered herself to chaperone a 5th grade sleepover.  As I sat in the Denny’s near Omori Station, fighting unsuccessfully to get to Asakusa for the annual Edo Firefighter’s Memorial, I checked Goodsmile’s Twitter feed to see whether or not they had FINALLY released any news on the upcoming Hyakkimaru nendoroid (pictured at the top).  What I found instead was that there was an event happening in Akiba - WonHobby Gallery 2019.  Since I had serious doubts that I was, in fact, going to make it to Asakusa in time, I decided to just stop when I got to Akiba.  I’d kinda been meaning to go there soon, anyways...although it perhaps would’ve been better to wait til payday.
The event was like a smaller, less crowded, free version of the Goodsmile booth at AnimeJapan, offering a glimpse into what was coming up from the company.  I was a little disappointed that they didn't have any life-size nendos or Nendoroid plushies, until I figured out that their previous announcement was an  April Fool’s Day joke.  Still, they had a pretty impressive range of upcoming releases to show off.  If it weren't for the fact that I don't think I can handle sewing that small, I might even be interested in one of their Nendoroid doll bodies.  Since I'm kind of burnt out on sewing at the moment, it wasn't a hard temptation to resist.

But Akiba being what it is, there's always temptation to be found, especially since I got sucked into a new blackhole:  nendoroid customizing.  See, here’s the thing.  Although GoodSmile often releases a bunch of characters from the same show, this is not always the case.  Sometimes they’re so busy making new versions of Hatsune Miku that they forget to make the other characters in your favorite show, which is why I’m still waiting for a Sugimoto nendoroid.  Although I guess I should be grateful they at least made Asirpa...they’ve never made any of Noragami's characters.  Over the course of my second year in Japan, I've been thinking about this more and more.  Seeing the expansion pieces - Nendoroid More, as they're called - which allow you to dress up your characters differently, or give them different expressions, got me wondering if it might be possible to frankenstein some characters (cobble together a new creation from spare parts - get it?).  It didn't really click, though, until I remembered how cheap I've found some nendoroids in my rambles about town.  I realized that if you could find them for a decent price, it might not be so terrible to take a figure apart, make some color changes, and reconstruct it to create a new character.

Well, as it turns out, that's totally a thing.  When I started trying to figure out whose hair would work for a Shinra nendoroid I stumbled across the community of nendoroid customizers online.  One enterprising couple even created an online shop - the aptly named ChibiChopShop - where they buy and sell parts from nendoroids that have been split up.  I'm looking for such specific things that I've only used them once, but when I discovered them, they had the only things I wanted - the hair and faceplates from nendoroid 151, Moritaka Mashiro.  With the Nendoroid More doctor body I'd already found on eBay, all I needed was a pair of glasses and probably a little paint to make my first nendoroid, Celty, her own Shinra.  He needs a lot of work - the hair’s the wrong color, and the face isn’t right - but once I’m reunited with my supplies in Mongolia, we’ll get there.

And that, of course, opened the floodgates.  I had so many ideas that it was tough to decide which to pursue first...but since the pieces basically fell into my lap I started working on my first anime love, Yato.

I found Takagi Akito from Bakuman (#152, from Lashinbang in Kamata) for his body, and Kuroko no Basuke’s Kise Ryota (#1032, again at Lashinbang, this time the big one in Akiba Culture Zone) for his hair, and was able to sell the rest right away through the facebook group for splits.  Then I hit up the Volks near Yokohama station on my way home from work one night and spent a good half hour deliberating over paints (ie, the ones that are waiting for me in Mongolia now - this post is kind of back and forth all over the place).  Since I really had zero clue what the heck I was doing, I based my educated guess on the name of the paint.  Very scientific, I know.  Then I got to work, in a painstakingly (or paints-takingly) slow manner.  Only to quickly realize the paint was much glossier than I wanted.  Back I went for cleaner and advice.  There’s still work to do on it, but for now, I’m pretty happy with how he’s looking.
In the midst of all this I made what may be the greatest discovery of all: Goodsmile's facemaker site.  This is basically a website that lets you design your own faceplates and have them printed by Goodsmile and shipped to you.  The options it gives you are unbelievable.  I was a little skeptical at first, but a half an hour later I had designed two expressions for Yato that I had to get printed.  The next day I went back to the site, just planning on messing around with it, and ended up ordering two more, I was so impressed with what I’d come up with.  The site is in Japanese but with Google chrome that’s almost a non-issue.  What might be an issue, though, if you’re not here in Japan is the fact that they only ship to Japan.  Both of those issues, however, are covered in this post on Blog DeJapan.

So that’s how I found myself another expensive hobby.  Wotakoi’s Nifuji Hirotaka was my third project, and although I still want to repaint his hair, I’m pretty pleased with what I’ve accomplished thus far.  I haven’t been forced to do any drastic modifications, but maybe I never will.  This past weekend was summer Wonder Festival and GoodSmile announced even more upcoming products - Kaguya-sama, for example, and a painted prototype of both Tanjiro and Nezuko from Kimetsu no Yaiba.  What I was really excited about, though, was that they announced a nendoroid of Natsume from Natsume Yuujinchou.  I’m not sure that I’ll actually order him - one of the rules I had to impose on myself to get out of Japan was that I was only allowed one figure of any character, and I’ve already got a figure of Natsume.*  No, the real value of that announcement to me was, in fact, that there was still hope.  That anime from several seasons back might still have nendos coming...sometimes there are copyright issues, after all.  Sometimes they have to wait and see if it’ll be lucrative enough to justify making those figures (although I would think the fujoshi fan base of Golden Kamuy would make that a yes).  Although it’s nice to rise to an artistic challenge, I’d much rather hold out hope for an official Sugimoto nendoroid, especially with a new season coming up.

If not, I’d settle for a scale figure.  I left Japan with more of them than I was expecting, and when I get my apartment put back together, don’t be surprised when the inevitable nesting post highlights my carefully curated collection.  I get an extra room this go-round and I know just what to do with it.

*As I mentioned before, nendoroids are small enough that it’s relatively easy to pack them up, especially if you’re willing - as I was, in the end - to get rid of the boxes.  So - on the other hand - I might.


No comments:

Post a Comment