We're three and a half weeks into the government mandated school shut-down, and just found out that we've got another month after this. I'm struggling. I miss my kids, I miss my routine - I have nothing to do! For some reason when I have all the time in the world I just don't feel like I need to do anything. All the sewing and sketching and (ahem) cleaning that I'd want to do while I was at work on a normal day just doesn't feel that urgent. Besides that, all public gatherings up to and including church have been cancelled - they've even called off one of Mongolia's two big celebrations, Tsagaan Sar. So don't blame me for a bit of a puff piece, because I don't really have anything else to write about. As you'll learn in my next post, I recently went through the looking-not-touching-glass (because, you know. Quarantine.) on a magical shopping adventure. But here's the thing: coming back to Mongolia may have brought me a return to disposable income, but I am WAAAY too happy funneling it into the figure industry. The claustrophobic aisles leading between tightly packed shelves are an easy place to lose your way, and a girl needs guideposts to keep from getting lost in the mists of darkness. These are mine.
Rule #1: One character, one figure
This is my most important rule, and some people might disagree strongly with it. It started as a rule of necessity - back when I was leaving Japan I asked myself if I needed BOTH the Roy Mustangs I had, and that made packing easier, if not the actual deciding. Even if I wasn't nomadic, I think I'd stick with this one - the collections I've seen of endless Hatsune Mikus and Kiss-Shot Acerola-Orion Heart-Under-Blades are a little creepy. Of course the otome perspective makes this a little easier to live by: rarely do we get more than one or two versions of the male characters we love (if that). I’ve stuck pretty well with this rule, and currently only have two duplicates: my Eraserheads (there was no way I was giving up the Pop my little brother gave me when I got his prize figure. Hell, do Pops even count???) and Levis, but I'm planning on selling his nendoroid when I get the chance. Still, the temptation does come up from time to time, and I've had to make some tough decisions.
Rule #2: It's okay to splash out on male figures...
I don't want to talk to you about how much I spent ordering the yet-to-be-released deluxe version of Aniplex's Tanjirou figure. Suffice it to say it didn't come cheap (and it hasn't gotten any cheaper, thank fuck). However, I've seen male figures go for absolutely ridiculous sums of money in the aftermarket - the only reason I was able to find my Yato figure for less than $300 was because he has damage to one of his swords. So I say that if you're buying new, go for it. For used figures, I try to use my best judgement. Sometimes figures get rereleased - GoodSmile does this a lot with their nendoroids - but that seems to depend a lot on how hot the anime is. If it's been several years and there's no whisper of a new season, it might not happen.
Rule #3: ...But don't buy characters you don't know
If I've never read the manga, watched the anime, or played the game, do I really need a figure of that character? That's another question I ask myself. This meant that when I got back from Kyoto last fall and finally did watch Psychopass that I was kicking myself a little for not buying Ko-chan's nendoroid, but it's also helped me to resist buying Ootengu from Onmyoji and Kaworu from Evangelion because I can't be bothered to play/watch their franchises. Both figures are really cool, but in the end they're just a pretty piece of plastic unless I'm invested in their characters.
Rule #4: Don't pay more than $70 for a nendoroid.
Half of my collection is these little bastards. I love them, they're hellacute. But their original prices range around 4500-6000 yen. For me, when the price climbs above $70, they just become too expensive. This is one rule that I haven't been tempted to break, although I've owned nendos that were worth more - Hoozuki, who I ended up selling, can go for around $110, and Dazai even more than that, although since he got a rerelease I'm pretty sure his worth has plummeted...and that's why you don't want to sink too much into them. As mentioned above, they do get rereleased pretty often, so their value can be fairly volatile.
Rule #5: Don't win your prizes - Buy them
I'm ashamed of how long this rule took me to figure out. Prize figures are among the hardest goods to get out of UFO catchers. Don't be surprised if after plugging the machine full of 100 yen coins you still don't have that damn Rimuru. If you're in it for the thrill of victory and you actually want to waste a small fortune, well, by all means - dozo. But if you're more interested in the figure, do yourself a favor and see if you can buy it instead. If you're not in Akiba, just find your nearest Bookoff+ and see if they have it. The one in Kawasaki was a great source for prizes, but even my small neighborhood Bookoff had a decent range of figures.
Rule #6: (almost) Never Order In
I've only learned this rule this fall. Once I had disposable income again I didn’t care if shipping was expensive, especially since that Kogami Shinya DX nendoroid I passed on in Kyoto was only 3500 yen online. But I've come to realize that any deals you might be getting are countered by that shipping cost, so I no longer let myself order old figures for delivery. This also helps to ensure the joy of the hunt for the next time I'm in Japan. There is an exception to this one: rare figures. I wholeheartedly believe if you can get a great deal on the Owari no Seraph boys you should 10 million percent go for it.
Rule #1: One character, one figure
This is my most important rule, and some people might disagree strongly with it. It started as a rule of necessity - back when I was leaving Japan I asked myself if I needed BOTH the Roy Mustangs I had, and that made packing easier, if not the actual deciding. Even if I wasn't nomadic, I think I'd stick with this one - the collections I've seen of endless Hatsune Mikus and Kiss-Shot Acerola-Orion Heart-Under-Blades are a little creepy. Of course the otome perspective makes this a little easier to live by: rarely do we get more than one or two versions of the male characters we love (if that). I’ve stuck pretty well with this rule, and currently only have two duplicates: my Eraserheads (there was no way I was giving up the Pop my little brother gave me when I got his prize figure. Hell, do Pops even count???) and Levis, but I'm planning on selling his nendoroid when I get the chance. Still, the temptation does come up from time to time, and I've had to make some tough decisions.
![]() |
| Kamado Tanjiro, Deluxe Version. By Aniplex |
Rule #2: It's okay to splash out on male figures...
I don't want to talk to you about how much I spent ordering the yet-to-be-released deluxe version of Aniplex's Tanjirou figure. Suffice it to say it didn't come cheap (and it hasn't gotten any cheaper, thank fuck). However, I've seen male figures go for absolutely ridiculous sums of money in the aftermarket - the only reason I was able to find my Yato figure for less than $300 was because he has damage to one of his swords. So I say that if you're buying new, go for it. For used figures, I try to use my best judgement. Sometimes figures get rereleased - GoodSmile does this a lot with their nendoroids - but that seems to depend a lot on how hot the anime is. If it's been several years and there's no whisper of a new season, it might not happen.
Rule #3: ...But don't buy characters you don't know
If I've never read the manga, watched the anime, or played the game, do I really need a figure of that character? That's another question I ask myself. This meant that when I got back from Kyoto last fall and finally did watch Psychopass that I was kicking myself a little for not buying Ko-chan's nendoroid, but it's also helped me to resist buying Ootengu from Onmyoji and Kaworu from Evangelion because I can't be bothered to play/watch their franchises. Both figures are really cool, but in the end they're just a pretty piece of plastic unless I'm invested in their characters.
![]() |
| Ootengu, China exclusive. By Hobby Max |
Half of my collection is these little bastards. I love them, they're hellacute. But their original prices range around 4500-6000 yen. For me, when the price climbs above $70, they just become too expensive. This is one rule that I haven't been tempted to break, although I've owned nendos that were worth more - Hoozuki, who I ended up selling, can go for around $110, and Dazai even more than that, although since he got a rerelease I'm pretty sure his worth has plummeted...and that's why you don't want to sink too much into them. As mentioned above, they do get rereleased pretty often, so their value can be fairly volatile.
![]() |
| Ranma Q-Posket, for old times' sake. Bought, not won. |
I'm ashamed of how long this rule took me to figure out. Prize figures are among the hardest goods to get out of UFO catchers. Don't be surprised if after plugging the machine full of 100 yen coins you still don't have that damn Rimuru. If you're in it for the thrill of victory and you actually want to waste a small fortune, well, by all means - dozo. But if you're more interested in the figure, do yourself a favor and see if you can buy it instead. If you're not in Akiba, just find your nearest Bookoff+ and see if they have it. The one in Kawasaki was a great source for prizes, but even my small neighborhood Bookoff had a decent range of figures.
![]() |
| Mika and Yuu, by Mens Hdge. |
I've only learned this rule this fall. Once I had disposable income again I didn’t care if shipping was expensive, especially since that Kogami Shinya DX nendoroid I passed on in Kyoto was only 3500 yen online. But I've come to realize that any deals you might be getting are countered by that shipping cost, so I no longer let myself order old figures for delivery. This also helps to ensure the joy of the hunt for the next time I'm in Japan. There is an exception to this one: rare figures. I wholeheartedly believe if you can get a great deal on the Owari no Seraph boys you should 10 million percent go for it.




No comments:
Post a Comment