Alternate Title: This Exhibition Should Have Come With A Trigger Warning
Well, it had to happen eventually. If this was my last year teaching - and it just might be - it makes sense that this is the year It would happen. The thing that happens to every teacher, eventually, and you know as it unfolds exactly what it is:The Worst Teaching Day of Your Career.*
For narrative purposes, it would be fun to say it started like any other, but to be completely honest, it did not. I had decided it would be good for my Art III students, especially my AP students, if I took them out into the world to see some Real Art. I took them to galleries in what my students informed me was UB's "Shibuya" - the intersection between the big library and KFC. Only, silly me, after 9 years in Mongolia I had decided that it would be fine to take them to these exhibitions even though I hadn't previewed them because every other exhibition I'd seen in UB was tame. I knew the third show, the one that involved tufting, had a little abstract nudity, because I'd seen an image from it on the gallery's website, but since one of my students had talked about focusing on the body in their work, I decided the risk outweighed the benefits.
I was wrong. So very, very wrong.
![]() |
| "2 CUTE 4 U," 2023 |
![]() |
| "Loyal as a Dog," 2023 |
So I spent the long bus ride in traffic back to the school sweating. I informed my principal about it, and talked to the students - let them know that if they were uncomfortable with the art that that was part of the artist's intent, but that they could and should talk to their parents, asked them to be mindful of where they posted the pictures, and hoped for the best. My principal reminded me that we were in Mongolia, not the US, and that our parents weren't overly concerned with these sorts of things, and my friends who saw the work when my students excitedly showed them photos consoled me that it really wasn't that bad. Still, I'm glad that I'll be making art instead of teaching it for the foreseeable future.
*Fun fact: my siblings and I were responsible for several of these in our day, so I guess karma's a bitch.





No comments:
Post a Comment