Two years back I damn near missed my flight back to Mongolia. That morning I was pondering whether I should make a quick run down to Fushimi to see my favorite shrine again or wander up and along the Philosopher's Path when I checked my email to be sure I knew when to be ready to go.
I didn't feel like I'd missed out too badly, especially since I did catch my flight, but Monday morning I decided to finally take that walk, since it's kind of in the vicinity of Heian Jingu. Now, here's the thing about Kyoto. Almost anywhere you walk is a good place to walk. You'll find hidden surprises, temples and shrines where you didn't expect them, or little creeks to walk down. The Philosopher's Path, though, beats them all.
I'm sure it's better in spring when all the cherry blossoms are doing their thing, but the hints of fall that were just beginning to show were perfect for me. It wasn't too crowded - there were people, but either they weren't the usual brand of baka I seem to get stuck with or else there weren't enough to ruin my morning.
Now I've become kind of addicted to watching Colbert lately, and there's a segment he does called "Big Questions with Even Bigger Stars." Since the trail in question is called the Philosopher's Path, I thought it would be apropos to do some deep thinking. The problem was that I was feeling pretty shallow. I mean, after a long-ass 9 weeks of school, who wants to be philosophical? What I really wanted was a cozy nook to read (or watch anime) in, where I could feel the breeze while a hot megane dude brings me cherry cokes (and rubs my feet, because I tortured the hell out if then yesterday).
However - a student pointed out to me recently that I say this a lot. Apparently it's my word, in much the same way actually belongs to Shaggy - however, as I walked along the path, beside a canal trickling with clear water, I chanced to look out to my left and saw the city stretched out below, and suddenly I felt above it all, not just literally but also metaphorically. I felt the philosophical juices begin to flow.
What is my purpose in life? Back in the days when a certain unnamed student's arrival in my classroom was heralded by the words, "MIZ M_____!" floating down the hall, I thought I'd finally figured that out. My purpose was teaching. Maybe it still is, but lately I've been wondering if maybe that's not all there is.
Why must we suffer? Because in order for us to experience joy, we must also know bitterness. If I weren't drudging day after day for students who (for the most part) don't appreciate art, or people who don't really appreciate their staff, would I truly feel the full extent of euphoria at leaving it all behind for a week? And wouldn't it be a tragedy if I didn't?
Why can't Wotakoi come out any quicker? How does one go about finding a rich patron? Is there at least an ice cube's chance in hell that American democracy will survive two more years? Will my life get any better once school moves to the new building, or will there be a whole host of new problems - for example, being able to see the tsunami coming through my classroom window in the event the Big One happens while I'm still here?
Such were my thoughts. Turns out philosophy really isn't my bag.
I didn't feel like I'd missed out too badly, especially since I did catch my flight, but Monday morning I decided to finally take that walk, since it's kind of in the vicinity of Heian Jingu. Now, here's the thing about Kyoto. Almost anywhere you walk is a good place to walk. You'll find hidden surprises, temples and shrines where you didn't expect them, or little creeks to walk down. The Philosopher's Path, though, beats them all.
I'm sure it's better in spring when all the cherry blossoms are doing their thing, but the hints of fall that were just beginning to show were perfect for me. It wasn't too crowded - there were people, but either they weren't the usual brand of baka I seem to get stuck with or else there weren't enough to ruin my morning.
Now I've become kind of addicted to watching Colbert lately, and there's a segment he does called "Big Questions with Even Bigger Stars." Since the trail in question is called the Philosopher's Path, I thought it would be apropos to do some deep thinking. The problem was that I was feeling pretty shallow. I mean, after a long-ass 9 weeks of school, who wants to be philosophical? What I really wanted was a cozy nook to read (or watch anime) in, where I could feel the breeze while a hot megane dude brings me cherry cokes (and rubs my feet, because I tortured the hell out if then yesterday).
However - a student pointed out to me recently that I say this a lot. Apparently it's my word, in much the same way actually belongs to Shaggy - however, as I walked along the path, beside a canal trickling with clear water, I chanced to look out to my left and saw the city stretched out below, and suddenly I felt above it all, not just literally but also metaphorically. I felt the philosophical juices begin to flow.
What is my purpose in life? Back in the days when a certain unnamed student's arrival in my classroom was heralded by the words, "MIZ M_____!" floating down the hall, I thought I'd finally figured that out. My purpose was teaching. Maybe it still is, but lately I've been wondering if maybe that's not all there is.
Why must we suffer? Because in order for us to experience joy, we must also know bitterness. If I weren't drudging day after day for students who (for the most part) don't appreciate art, or people who don't really appreciate their staff, would I truly feel the full extent of euphoria at leaving it all behind for a week? And wouldn't it be a tragedy if I didn't?
Why can't Wotakoi come out any quicker? How does one go about finding a rich patron? Is there at least an ice cube's chance in hell that American democracy will survive two more years? Will my life get any better once school moves to the new building, or will there be a whole host of new problems - for example, being able to see the tsunami coming through my classroom window in the event the Big One happens while I'm still here?
Such were my thoughts. Turns out philosophy really isn't my bag.
No comments:
Post a Comment