Okay, so once upon a time I never wrote about art on my blog. Now it seems like every other post is art-related. Part of me is really proud of what this says about me. The other part of me kind of misses the sort of madcap capers I used to write about instead (after all, it's kind of hard to work swearing and dirty jokes into most art posts...most). This is at least in part because I've been operating under the assumption that nobody wants to read about art, except for the Evil One and maybe a few of my old students, but here's the thing: Art is for everyone. As an art teacher, allow me to educate y'all.
Or, you know. Close this tab and try again next week. As you like.
So one thing I'd read about last spring and not had the chance to try yet was the Art Byte Critique. I've been stalking their facebook page since I discovered it, but each month a group gets together to participate in an actual critique, sharing work and getting feedback. It seemed like half the time it was on Sunday, and the rest of the time it conflicted with my nihonga lessons. So when I got the announcement in August before I'd started painting again, I decided that the time had come.
I actually met the founder a couple of weeks before the critique took place at my mokuhanga workshop. Arthur was kind enough to give me an overview of what to expect - I mean, I've done plenty of critiques, but haven't been the subject of one in person since my undergrad days. I was at least a little nervous. But I got to Ikebukuro in good time and found the place easily enough, art in hand.
One of the reasons why it was intimidating is because many of the Art Byte artists are pretty accomplished. Arthur had just been accepted to a biennale in Nakanojo, and another of the artists wanted advice on how to install a piece she'd been commissioned to create for an exhibition in England. I'd like to be in their shoes someday, but it feels like a long road from where I am. I shared three pieces - two of my gouashi paintings, and the nihonga wave I'm still working on - and got some really good feedback. I'll go again as soon as the stars align, which will unfortunately not be this month - I'm supposed to hop a bus for Kyoto three hours after the crit ends, and since I'm leaving from Yokohama this time I don't really feel like cutting it that close.
One of the items of business at the critique was the artist book exhibition coming up at the Launch Pad Gallery. Back at UMKC I had a professor who assigned us to make an artist book, but mine was garbage. I've attempted them a few times with my students, but the concept has been challenging for all of us, so I was interested in checking it out. Then a couple of weeks ago an event for it came up on my news feed, and it was a book making workshop. I was a little put out that it started at 3 on a Friday afternoon, but then I realized since it was in Yokohama I'd only need to miss about 15 minutes of my last class to make it on time, so I begged my principal to let me go.
The books were fantastic. It was a collaboration with a group of artists in England, so there were a lot of different interpretations of the artist book concept. The gallery provided gloves so that you could pick up and look at the books without damaging them (although to be honest it was still pretty nervewracking...if anyone was going to break one of them, it would have been me for shiz). After I'd checked them out for a few minutes the workshop was ready to start.
It was taught by Nick West, who had a solo show up at CLOUDS right before their contest that I participated in. He brought one of the books that he made for that exhibition to demonstrate the technique that we were going to use, using a basic stitch to bind sets of pages together. After we made our pages, he took apart a sketchbook to give us cardboard to make the cover, which we covered with book cloth before putting the whole thing together. It was a nicely educational way to spend a rainy Friday evening, and it made me appreciate my school for letting me go (particularly because I'd only given them a few days warning!)
Strangely enough, although I've been writing about art more often I've actually made less since coming back from the summer. Blame it on the sewing kick I started in July. I'm in the middle of winding up a few plushies and then I should be able to get back to my art (assuming my bloody research course allows me to). Which is good, since Art Byte is having a group show at the beginning of next year, and I still have no idea what I'd like to enter. I feel like it's strange that I feel confident in my art until I have to put it out in the world to be judged, but maybe that's normal.
Or, you know. Close this tab and try again next week. As you like.
So one thing I'd read about last spring and not had the chance to try yet was the Art Byte Critique. I've been stalking their facebook page since I discovered it, but each month a group gets together to participate in an actual critique, sharing work and getting feedback. It seemed like half the time it was on Sunday, and the rest of the time it conflicted with my nihonga lessons. So when I got the announcement in August before I'd started painting again, I decided that the time had come.
I actually met the founder a couple of weeks before the critique took place at my mokuhanga workshop. Arthur was kind enough to give me an overview of what to expect - I mean, I've done plenty of critiques, but haven't been the subject of one in person since my undergrad days. I was at least a little nervous. But I got to Ikebukuro in good time and found the place easily enough, art in hand.
One of the reasons why it was intimidating is because many of the Art Byte artists are pretty accomplished. Arthur had just been accepted to a biennale in Nakanojo, and another of the artists wanted advice on how to install a piece she'd been commissioned to create for an exhibition in England. I'd like to be in their shoes someday, but it feels like a long road from where I am. I shared three pieces - two of my gouashi paintings, and the nihonga wave I'm still working on - and got some really good feedback. I'll go again as soon as the stars align, which will unfortunately not be this month - I'm supposed to hop a bus for Kyoto three hours after the crit ends, and since I'm leaving from Yokohama this time I don't really feel like cutting it that close.
One of the items of business at the critique was the artist book exhibition coming up at the Launch Pad Gallery. Back at UMKC I had a professor who assigned us to make an artist book, but mine was garbage. I've attempted them a few times with my students, but the concept has been challenging for all of us, so I was interested in checking it out. Then a couple of weeks ago an event for it came up on my news feed, and it was a book making workshop. I was a little put out that it started at 3 on a Friday afternoon, but then I realized since it was in Yokohama I'd only need to miss about 15 minutes of my last class to make it on time, so I begged my principal to let me go.
The books were fantastic. It was a collaboration with a group of artists in England, so there were a lot of different interpretations of the artist book concept. The gallery provided gloves so that you could pick up and look at the books without damaging them (although to be honest it was still pretty nervewracking...if anyone was going to break one of them, it would have been me for shiz). After I'd checked them out for a few minutes the workshop was ready to start.
It was taught by Nick West, who had a solo show up at CLOUDS right before their contest that I participated in. He brought one of the books that he made for that exhibition to demonstrate the technique that we were going to use, using a basic stitch to bind sets of pages together. After we made our pages, he took apart a sketchbook to give us cardboard to make the cover, which we covered with book cloth before putting the whole thing together. It was a nicely educational way to spend a rainy Friday evening, and it made me appreciate my school for letting me go (particularly because I'd only given them a few days warning!)
Strangely enough, although I've been writing about art more often I've actually made less since coming back from the summer. Blame it on the sewing kick I started in July. I'm in the middle of winding up a few plushies and then I should be able to get back to my art (assuming my bloody research course allows me to). Which is good, since Art Byte is having a group show at the beginning of next year, and I still have no idea what I'd like to enter. I feel like it's strange that I feel confident in my art until I have to put it out in the world to be judged, but maybe that's normal.




No comments:
Post a Comment