You can tell when winter is almost over. The plum trees start to blossom, and suddenly there are hina dolls displayed everywhere. I saw these in the middle of the train station in Shiroishi last month, and saw a similar display in Yokohama Station a week or two ago. That doesn't mean that winter is quite over, though. It's been raining throughout the last week, which pissed me right off and was one of the reasons I decided against going to the Nagashibina. I loved the ritual last year but standing in the cold rain did NOT seem like a fun way to start my Sunday.
This time last year I was filled with unspeakable rage because my fellow Americans were being a bunch of lunatics. This Hina Matsuri - a festival dedicated to the prosperity and protection of girls - I'm raging again, but you'll have to wait a few months to hear that particular rant. Suffice it to say that the timing of a holiday concerned with those blessings of prosperity seemed somewhat ironic this year. (As far as protection goes, nothing makes me feel as safe as toting around the bachi I use for taiko class - and hey - bonus! I can practice while I walk!)
As far as I'm concerned, there was never any question as to whether or not I was going to mark Girls' Day this year with a blog. (Seriously, people, I make dolls for my hobby. This was always going to happen). That said, I did try to find new things to see. I knew there were several displays around Tokyo, and although I passed over my first choice because I didn't have time after painting on Saturday,* my second choice, though, was just a couple of stops away in Shinjuku. Keio Plaza Hotel had a special display of tsurushi hina, hanging decorations, along with some works of art that made me think of the paintings Maria's students always paint around this time of year. Except, you know, better (technically, at least. I'd argue that a lot more heart goes into the student work).
Just as hina dolls evolved from the doll floating rituals, hanging decorations are an Edo-era tradition that emerged from the desire of less affluent families hoping to participate in the holiday. Turns out the full hina display is pretty damn pricey, and not everyone could afford them. Instead, the women of the family would come together to craft small decorations that hung from red cords.
The ones at Keio Plaza were made of kimono silk by quilting artist Mitsuyo Matsuo and her artist group, Himawari. I've bought a LOT of fabric scraps in the last month or so, and it made me think about how cool it would be to make my own tsurushi hina...but since I already have a backlog of sewing projects I want to make, this probably won't happen anytime soon. Making my own display, on the other hand, seemed relatively straightforward and not too time consuming. I've been thinking about using my nendoroids to set up a hina matsuri display ever since I read about the Hatsune Miku hina doll made by Mataro last January.**
I learned a lot about the meanings behind the dolls when I visited the Ando Doll workshop in Kyoto last fall. I tried to keep it in mind when I made my own Hina Matsuri display, but I didn't have dolls that fit. The top step is supposed to be the emperor and empress. Since I didn't have any nendoroids that are couples, I just chose my favorites. The next step is supposed to be the three court ladies, but I only have two female nendos. Instead, I made this the warrior step and included my sword boys and Roy Mustang. The third step is supposed to be the musicians, so I went with a general ntheme of entertainment and called it good. You might notice that I'm lacking most of the furnishings that go along with the set, but with a move looming there was no way I was buying more crap to pack up.
The VERY sweet icing on this year's doll cake was going to the Strawberry-holic buffet at The Strings Omotesando with Sensei and the Director. About a month ago I decided I needed to eat as many strawberry desserts as I could before the season is over, and having them all at the same time seemed like a good idea.***
Apparently these buffets have themes. I mean, besides “strawberries.” There were at least a couple of other strawberry buffets going on recently, one with the theme of cats and another that featured - wait for it! - Godzilla. This one was, appropriately enough, doll-themed, with so many Barbies scattered around the buffet and tables that they must have visited every Mandarake on Honshu to round up enough to pull it off. As far as the food goes, there was a token lunch side, with salads, curry, and the best damn mac and cheese I’ve had since I last made it in Mongolia, but I don’t think anyone wasted too much time on real food. We were all there for the desserts, and they were excellent. That said, at 4500 yen we were all keen to get our money’s worth, and it’s possible that all three of us ate more than we should. I definitely wanted to just lie down and have someone roll me home with a stick; as it was, I went into hibernation mode as soon as I got to my apartment.
I was about to say that was how my Hina Matsuri ended, except that’s not quite true. I’ve been taking a photography course for my master’s this term, and our current project is light painting. I originally wanted to work with shrine imagery - I still do, and I’m pretty sure this is going to play into my final portfolio - but then I thought about the nagashi hina and decided - since it was just after Girls’ Day - to make my own as a subject for my photo. This course has been much harder than I was expecting, but at the same time, I’m pretty happy with some of the photos I got. I’m still hoping to improve on them by taking photos in the stream near my house, but for now I feel like I have a good start.
Apparently these buffets have themes. I mean, besides “strawberries.” There were at least a couple of other strawberry buffets going on recently, one with the theme of cats and another that featured - wait for it! - Godzilla. This one was, appropriately enough, doll-themed, with so many Barbies scattered around the buffet and tables that they must have visited every Mandarake on Honshu to round up enough to pull it off. As far as the food goes, there was a token lunch side, with salads, curry, and the best damn mac and cheese I’ve had since I last made it in Mongolia, but I don’t think anyone wasted too much time on real food. We were all there for the desserts, and they were excellent. That said, at 4500 yen we were all keen to get our money’s worth, and it’s possible that all three of us ate more than we should. I definitely wanted to just lie down and have someone roll me home with a stick; as it was, I went into hibernation mode as soon as I got to my apartment.
I was about to say that was how my Hina Matsuri ended, except that’s not quite true. I’ve been taking a photography course for my master’s this term, and our current project is light painting. I originally wanted to work with shrine imagery - I still do, and I’m pretty sure this is going to play into my final portfolio - but then I thought about the nagashi hina and decided - since it was just after Girls’ Day - to make my own as a subject for my photo. This course has been much harder than I was expecting, but at the same time, I’m pretty happy with some of the photos I got. I’m still hoping to improve on them by taking photos in the stream near my house, but for now I feel like I have a good start.
*I'm still hoping to write about the place it was later. I mean, I probably have to write a Shinsengumi post at some point, right???
**I think I'd have a lot of fun designing other pop culture dolls with them, but the clock is ticking.
***Time has proven otherwise.








No comments:
Post a Comment